Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Global Community



This being the 21st century, Serafini and my Peace Corps service do not exist in the cultural bubble that might have been the case 20 years ago. International influences abound, from Paraguayans going abroad (usually to Argentina, Spain or the US) in search of work to the veritable plethora of international development agencies trying to do work here in Paraguay. Pictured above is Masako, a volunteer with JICA Japan International Cooperation Agency or something like that. She lives here in San Jose (the town about 5 km from my site) and is teaching crochet and artisan classes with the local coop. We have become friends and she recently gave her first crochet class in my community. We had it right after my English class so she could learn English and all of my English students stayed for the crochet class. Another example of international influences is the American from Boston who passed through my community a few months before my arrival there talking about developing a sugar cane factory nearby. Of course images of Americans from movies and TV largely shape perceptions about the US and Americans, as well. There are large numbers of Japanese and German settlers here in Paraguay who have been living her for generations. The Mennonite colonies that dominate the Chaco (really dry, hot, inhospitable western region of Paraguay) lead many Paraguayans to initially think I´m German. It all leads for an interesting experience here.

No comments: