Monday, May 19, 2008

Cerro Kavaju (Horse Hill)


This excursion started with a text from a fellow volunteer asking me if I wanted to go rock climbing. Since I haven´t been into Asunción in a while I naturally thought I was hallucinating when I read her text and immediately fired back a bunch of questions in attempt to validate my sanity. Well, I read right and because of this text met several fellow volunteers in the Cordillera Gobernacion building last Friday. We set out for the hill with four young Paraguayan guides and six volunteers. We wanted to see what the trip was like before potentially bringing youth from nearby communities there as a form of nature appreciation and self-esteem building. We took a beautiful hike up through forest up the hill and wound around until we came to the 150 plus face we descended. Since there were quite a few of us we didn´t have time to all climb the face but everyone rappelled down it! The view was beautiful, the rock was great, and the Paraguayans accompanying us were super- overall an awesome experience! Now I just have to figure out how to get people from my community out there!

3 comments:

Havlik said...

What are the names of the Paraguayans you went rock climbing with? I have some very good friends living in Almada near the Cerro Kavaju who took me rock climbing on the cerro while I was living there for a volunteer project similar to Cuerpo de Paz. Just curious ...

Fernando Trent said...

Hello, can you leave tour e-mail? I`m interested in your activities, I went to the Cerro Kavaju last sunday, it was awsome, I also went to te Cerro Yaguaron, Altos, i`m not sure where i`ll go this sunday.

Fernando Trent said...

Hello, can you leave tour e-mail? I`m interested in your activities, I went to the Cerro Kavaju last sunday, it was awsome, I also went to te Cerro Yaguaron, Altos, i`m not sure where i`ll go this sunday.