Saturday, July 21, 2007

Första veckan (The first week)

Internet access in rural Sweden is virtually impossible if you work during the day! It is kind of like Wisconsin in that the libraries have access and they are only open limited hours. So, I am going to give a quick update but won't be able to do that very often.

Sweden is going wonderfully. The plant life is very similar but different enough to be interesting and we have been working in some wonderful oak forests.

Frank Götemark, the professor I am working with, has been immensely helpful and welcoming. I am staying at his cottage now on the east coast of Sweden for the weekend with Frank, his wife and eldest daughter, Elin. We all get along very well and today I went kayaking in the archipelago east of Sweden with Elin. We got to see some lovely seabirds and hang out on beautiful rocky islands.

I am still planning a trip up to northern Sweden in mid-August and Elin has been there several times and will help me plan the trip (her insights about staying on the mountains to avoid the mosquitos and biting flies have already been valuable!)

No comments: