Monday, June 18, 2007

Obstacles

Well, I am now back from Belize but I had a series of unfortunate events (all of which were resolved) leading up to my actually arriving in Belize.

I ran into a passport fiasco that involved frantic calls to Sweden and the US passport appointment hot line in the middle of the night, calls to the Swedish Consulate General in New York every week day between 2 and 3 PM EST and a last-second trip to Chicago to get a brand new passport.


I was fortunate to have a new passport in time to board my originally scheduled flight relay to Belize City. However, instead of arriving in Belize City on June 1 (the day I departed Madison) Mom and I didn't get into Belize until June 3. I had the distinct privilege of getting to spend two nights in beautiful Miami, Florida. The second day we were stuck in Miami they were able to tell us there was no hope of getting to Belize early enough in the day that we were able to do something other than sit in the airport and hotel. My mom being a great trip planner coordinated the rental of a minivan and an afternoon excursion to Coopertown Air Boat Rides where the above picture was taken before heading out into the everglades to check out the gators in a more natural setting.

Of course, we did end up making it into Belize (and OUT of Miami) and I had an amazing time down in Central America.

No comments: