Saturday, February 2, 2008

I had a woman in my community who was super worried because since I spend a lot of time outside my freckles are becoming more obvious. She was convinced it was a disease that was spreading and asked if I had seen a doctor about it. I am the closest I will ever be to tan with all of my freckles congealing! But don´t worry, I am being sun-responsible, I promise since Peace Corps pays for my sunscreen! Thank you to all of you diligent tax paying citizens at home!

Speaking of taxes, I won´t have to pay a cent of income taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer since I´m making less than Paraguay´s minimum wage. Really the minimum wage only applies to Asuncion, but it´s good to know that they really do keep us to a standard of living commensurate with the communities we´re living in. The ranch hand on the cattle ranch across the street makes more than I do monthly!

I´ve taken the first steps to live alone and have been given permission to use one room of a currently vacant house. My decision to move was precipitated by several people telling me they are afraid to visit me in the house I´m currently in because the Senora is too direct and abrasive. It is really important to me that people feel they can talk to me and luckily there is a place available for me. The house is really close to two of my favorite families in my community and they are really excited to have me move by them. I´m working on finding the necessities for living alone, a bed, something to cook on, and stuff to cook with, in addition to a fan. I think that I will be able to borrow almost everything I need from a woman who just remairied and moved in with her new husband, leaving her old house completely furnished! I might be able to get a fridge and gas stove from her!!!!! It will take a lot of work to clean up the house but we have a work party planned for next weekend. I probably won´t move in for another month or two but it´s nice for me to know that I will have my own place.

My boss from Asuncion will be coming out to my site on Wednesday and I´m busy planning a big meeting for him to explain more about what Peace Corps is and what an agroforestry can be. I will also get a big backlog of mail from the office in Asuncion (almost two months worth!) and my bike! There´s some debate as to if I will get my cell phone, or not, but if I do I will disperse the number and if not I´ll pick it up in Asuncion on Feb 15 when I have a trip in planned.

2 comments:

GMR said...

Hi Kate. Correcting e;mails . The one sent was wrong. kmckenna@edu.py and here is another katecmc@hotmail.com I hope these work. Sent other addresses in mail Am. School would be one. Got youy letter with gratitude. Love GMR

jess said...

babe,

you are awesome and so is your blog. Way to keep posting unlike some lazy S. American former residents i know...:) I miss you but was really inspired by all that talk of knitting plastic bags! You are doing such amazing things there and there are so many more to come I'm sure. When you're teaching villages full of people how to knit, remember that you wouldn't be so good at knitting education if it weren't for Nicole and me and our couch knitting bee.

love you bundles.